2.27.2009

Counting Fish

Have you ever tried to count gold fish?

The other day my 4 (almost 5) year old nephew, Andrew and I found ourselves at Walmart.  His mom and I had been out shopping earlier that day and upon arriving back at my sister's house we discovered that Andrew was a little upset that he didn't get to come along.  Since I still needed a few things at Walmart, I offered to take him "shopping" with me.

After gathering the few items on our list... toilet paper, toothpaste, etc for me, and a Pencil keeper for Andrew, I made the "mistake" of asking Andrew if there was anything else we needed.  He looked at me with a straight face and said, "Yes, we need to look at the fish!"  How do you say no to that?

So, off to the fish tanks we went.  For the next 15-20 minutes we proceeded to name the fish, look for cool little crabs, frogs, and then count all the fish.  I think several were counted more than once!

Honestly, I would have never thought to stop and count the gold fish at Walmart.  Ahh... the joy of seeing life through the eyes of a child.  It always amazes me how they can find joy in the little things in life.  There is so much in life to be thankful for... yes, even goldfish.

Have you stopped to count any goldfish lately?

1 comment:

  1. The joys of being an auntie. So glad you get to enjoy being an auntie and have them near by.

    ReplyDelete